Did you know that there are now TWO makerspaces open to all of UNSW? In addition to MCIC, there is a brand new space at J18 (Willis Annexe).
By doing one Shop Tools induction, you gain access to both!
Makerspace Opening Times
The MCIC Makerspace is open Monday to Saturday from 10pm – 8pm.
The J18 Makerspace is open Monday to Friday 9am - 6pm. Saturday 10am - 6pm.
During these hours, we may need to restrict general access when we run inductions and workshops.
How to Access the Makerspace
The first and most crucial step is to attend our Shop Tools training. We use the same induction as the FBE Design Futures Lab (Squarehouse) and ENG Willis Annex (J18). The Shop Tools is a ground up introduction to using and understanding equipment, tools, and methodologies. You will learn how to safely and effectively use hand and power tools in everyday situations.
There are some tools in the Makerspace that require extra training. We have a Dig Fab induction for the 3D printers and the laser cutter. We will also schedule training for the other machines as needed.
- You MUST complete a Shop Tools induction (and sign our safesys document) before entering the MakerSpace. Staff will check your training when you access the workshop.
- Closed shoes are mandatory in the MakerSpace, if one wishes to enter without closed shoes, gum boots of shame will be provided.
- Before turning on machines, notify the rest of the users in the MakerSpace so that they can get PPCE.
- Absolutely no alcohol or drugs can be brought into the Makerspace. Non-alcoholic drinks are allowed in sealable bottles. Use of tools and machinery is forbidden to those under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Food is not allowed in the Makerspace.
- Always help others not as knowledgeable as yourself. And if you are not sure how to use a tool or machine, please ask first. MCIC Maker Mentors are on staff and able to assist you.
- We are not a service provider, asking staff to make something for you for free or even paid will not go down well. Embrace the principles of the maker movement, skill up and do it yourself or do it with others.
- Leave No Trace! After using the space, you are expected to clean up your workspace.